Sunday, September 03, 2006

We are back!

We arrived back in Vancouver on Tuesday August 29th...after a nightmarish journey involving late flights, rude secuirty officials, having a plane held for us while we RAN through Heathrow with the kids and all our bags, an awful flight with rude cabin crew and all our bags lost upon arrival!! ARRGGHH.
I was so overwhelmed, I just couldn't believe that we were home.
We went through Immigration without a hitch (my secret nagging fear was that something would go wrong at immigration) and then we decided to not clim our bags. We thought we could always go back the next day and we just wanted to get home with our new ones and go to bed.
We emerged out of security .....to a cheer and a crowd of family and friends waiting for us with smiles, hugs and so much love.
I just could not stop crying, I was bowled over. For people that know me, they know that I do not cry easily, in fact my friend Dave said that it was worth coming to the airport just to see me cry for once! (Thanks Dave!)
My friends and family were so full of joy that strangers to me were crying and congratulating me!
So began Ayana and Moses's first few minutes on Canadian soil...these little ones are loved! (I don't have pictures of the airport but will post some when people get them to me)

The last few days have been tiring and difficult as we have all been trying to adjust to jet lag and getting to know each other. Ayana will come and tell me something and then look at me with little raised eyebrows waiting for my response. "Ow?" she will say...meaning "yes?" Sometimes I just say "ow" and she seems satisfied and skips away quite happy...I don't know what I've agreed to though!
Other times she just says the same thing over and over and then goes into a temper tantrum, but I know that it is pure frustration because of not being able to communicate. Things will ease when I know what she is saying and vice versa.
that being said, she is funny and cute and adorable, hugging and kissing and loving to chase around the house.
She LOVES the Ethiopian music we brought home and races around the house with a huge grin on her face when it comes on.
Moses is hilarious. He loves to laugh and clap and bob his head to music. He snuggles and plays and does diarrhea about every hour on the hour. He has already "baptised" his car seat, his high chair and his crib... baths are very much part of his daily routines.

Well, I'm tired, jet lag is a horrible thing! Just wanted to say that I was home.
I will over the next few days do an update on our time in Ethiopia and yes, I will post pictures (for all the people asking me to!).
Here are a couple of pictures of our children and our first few days together.