Thursday, February 22, 2007

What a Disaster!!

Yesterday I dropped Megan off for her voice lessons and decided to quickly run into Save On Foods for a couple of things before picking her up again. I had half an hour and I also had Ayana and Moses with me.
I zipped around the store and was quite proud of the fact that I had done a shop and was back at the van in 20 minutes. Pride always comes before a fall, I should have known!
I put Moses in the van, turned round to put Ayana in, put all my bags in and then reached across to buckle Moses up. As he was squirming away, I put my keys down on the seat. You can guess what's going to happen.
I turned around for a moment (now I don't even know why) and turned back to see Ayana push on the door which slid across and clicked. I froze.
I frantically pulled on the door. Locked.
With Ayana and Moses inside, not strapped in their seats. With my purse, my keys, my cell phone on the front seat.
At first I just stared into the van in desperation.
Then I tried to get Ayana to press the button on the door which would have unlocked all the doors. She of course could not understand me and just stared back at me. Then I was pointing to the button, "Ayana, push the button" (two words she doesn't know yet are "push" and "button" I've discovered) She waved at me.
Soon a little crowd of three guys had gathered as they all tried to get Ayana to push on the button! She waved at all of us quite happily. One guy kindly informed me that this would never happen to him as he always carries two sets of keys around. Thank you sir, you can leave now.

Moses meanwhile thinks that this is hilarious. He starts to go through the shopping bags and throw things around the van. Then, in his new found freedom, he stands up on the arm rest of his car seat. I was trying to tell him to sit down...good luck!
Finally, I got hold of Dave at work, half an hour away and he said that he would come and open the van with his spare key. I didn't even think of calling a tow truck and anyway, they take about half an hour too. (How do I know this? Another deadly embarrassing thing happened to me in the van last Sunday involving running out of gas and having to call a tow truck :0 )
Anyway, Ayana now is tired of waving at me and starts to cry and then to call out "shinti" (meaning "pee") She starts to jump up and down and then finally just pees in her pants which upsets her and sets her off into a complete fit of crying.
Moses is now throwing bottles of 7UP around the van.
I stood there for over half an hour and I have never been so glad to see Dave pull into the parking lot. Oh the magic sound of that key turning in the lock and click, the door was open! Ayana looked at me and then sighed. "Poor Ayana" she said! I had to laugh!
Meanwhile Megan is still sitting outside her voice lesson waiting to be picked up, we were over half an hour late in getting her.
All in all, a horrible, frantic experience. When I think back on it now, everything ended up OK, the kids were fine etc, and it is quite funny. However, at the time.....

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ah- the glorious moments of motherhood.... isn't it grand???

Anonymous said...

aaaawwww one of those days!!!! I can't imagine the panic...thank goodness hubby was close, waiting for tow truck ect can be hrs.(yep done that)
Ellen

The Hattons... said...

The best bed time story I've ever read to myself! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing about 1 month ago, but my truck was still in the driveway. Mason strapped, truck running, and keys inside. Mason was sitting there, bopping to the music. Thankfully, I found my other set of keys in the house.
cheers! joanne