Monday, April 23, 2007

A goat for Christmas.
In 2005, our family traveled to Uganda to work in an awesome project there that our school founded and continues to run.
There are over 800 students in the project and we of course made friends with many of them when we were there. The little ones always tug at your heart strings, laughing, playing, singing in divine harmony even at an early age, dancing and hanging on to you every time you set foot on the compound. I usually hang out with the younger children, but during the time I spent there, I gradually came to love a few of the older students. A couple in particular stick in my mind and I think of them often.

One boy (probably 14 or so) would come to our door every day and wait for me. When I went outside he would ask me how I was, in a very shy voice and then ask if he could sing or dance for me that day. Of course, I would ask him to and he would sing beautiful songs for me or perform a traditional dance. He would then bow gracefully, smile and head off to school. On the last day we were there, he waited for us for a long time as we got ready to go. He took my hands in both his hands and he sobbed, great tears running down his face. He whispered to me, "I will never forget you, you are so kind to listen to my songs. I wish you my mother". His mother had died. I felt so bereft leaving him.

Another boy also stole my heart. He invited us back to his house to meet his grandmother. Our whole family slogged up the side of a mountain in the heat of the day to get to his house (it was HARD work!) He walked that distance to school and back every day, barefoot, not seeming to notice the rough terrain. We passed coffee fields, maize fields, banana plantations and finally made it to his tiny little hut where he lived with a couple of brothers, an aunt, a baby nephew and an old grandma. We had a great time, just hanging out with half the village watching in shy fascination. They played soccer and volleyball using the traditional African ball made of plastic bags tightly wound together. During our time at the project, this boy stuck to us like glue. Wherever we went, he would appear. He showed us round the tiny village, introduced us to his family, hung out outside our house and played with Joshua every moment of the day. I wanted to bring him back to Canada. I wasn't able to sponsor him, but we made a promise to ourselves to send him things, to send presents, money through the school etc to help him when we could. He always writes and says thank you and how he misses us. Last Christmas, my elder daughter sent the project some money in my name, requesting that they purchase a goat for him. This will bring him income as he sells the milk, or the kids etc. (Or food if they are desperate) Today I got a picture of him holding his goat with a huge smile on his face. Here he is.

If you are not sure of the impact that we have on these amazing kids when we sponsor or support in any way, let me share with you an excerpt of the letter that he wrote to me. (Of course, I realise it is more personal because we have met and are friends.)

"How are you dear Lesley? How is Canada? I got a goat, I send thanks to you, thank you so much...I love you so much. I love your dear family so much. How is Joshua and his sisters...I am so happy for what you done for me and my family.... My dearest , I love you"

My dearest...I love you too.

6 comments:

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

That is beautiful Lesley ! Of course I have tears in my eyes...

Thank you so much for sharing !

Lisa

Sarah said...

way to make me cry Lesley!

Anonymous said...

Ha... before I even saw the other comments I had typed... Lesley! Stop. Making. Me. Cry.

I nominate your daughter's idea for best Christmas gift ever.

june

Tanya said...

That was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.

I found my way to your blog from the boards.

Tanya

Anonymous said...

Great post Lesley,

There is a wonderful children's book on this subject called "Beatrice's Goat". Some of the proceeds from the book go to the Heifer Organization which provides livestock to poverty-stricken families.

Lesley said...

Hi there
Yes, we have that book...it is actually based in Uganda too and the illustrations are very similar to where we stayed.
One of the pictures of the baby boy is so like Moses that Ayana always things it is him in the book!
Lesley